-whole oat blueberry muffins with a little bit of vegan "butter" spread and homemade apple butter, fresh strawberries and banana, milk, and coffee
(A little explanation for breakfast: the recipe for the muffins came from the Forks over Knives book and called for whole oat flour, but I was unable to find it at the regular grocery store so I substituted whole wheat flour. I was also unable to find sweet potato puree so I made my own! We did drink a little cow's milk this morning because the grocery store was completely out of almond milk yesterday. I'm headed back today in hopes that they have restocked! = ) 'Tis life! Oh, and the vegan spread came from Trader Joe's and it's really yummy! It's all natural, Non-GMO (genetically modified organisms), non-dairy, and is an excellent source of ALA Omega-3. It's good to cook with too! I am still going to drink one cup of coffee, half decaf/half regular, each day but be sure to drink even more water since the caffeine dehydrates my body.)
*Snack
-Micah snacked on some blueberries
*Lunch
-Pasta with greens (and a tiny sprinkle of cheese to attract Micah = ) and a kiwi
(The recipe for the pasta also came from Forks Over Knives and was super easy! It is just any type of whole grain pasta, pasta sauce, kale, zucchini and mushrooms. You dry fry (which simply means use a non-stick pan and no oil) the zucchini and mushrooms (which smelled AMAZING as I was cooking it!) and cook the kale with the noodles during the last 3 minutes of cooking time. I must admit I was craving something sweet when I finished so I opted for a Clif Kids fruit rope that is organic, all-natural, and equals one serving of fruit! I bought the fruit rope, Bertolli organic pasta sauce, kiwi, and fresh strawberries at Sams Club for a really great price!!)
*Snack
-Peanut butter and honey sandwich on wheat bread
-(Micah had whole grain crackers and humus = )
*Dinner
-Asian stir fry with zucchini, onion, squash, and chicken and brown rice
I want to add that I had just made a normal weekly grocery run before we decided to change our eating habits, so in order to not be wasteful we are eating the chicken, cow's milk, and white pasta that we already had. Like I mentioned yesterday, we are easing into this lifestyle so that it lasts! = )
David and I enjoyed a wonderful date night at the movies tonight thanks to David and Amy Eill who so graciously watched our kids! I think it's been about 4 months since our last date. I told you I was going to be transparent so I have to confess that we split popcorn and I took an all-natural organic chocolate chip cookie with me. Considering we go to the movies about twice a year at most and movie popcorn is such a treat for David, we decided to buy some. One different thing we did was chunk the leftovers so that we are not tempted at home to eat it again later!
Well, another day of our new eating habits has concluded and I feel pretty good about the day's choices. I was pretty tempted by the smells of hamburgers in the movie theater parking lot but I just kept reminding myself of why I'm eating healthy. It's to honor God with my body and set a good example for my children. That keeps me motivated!
No comments:
Post a Comment