Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Days 5 and 6 of New Eating Habits

For those of you who have actually been reading this blog and care, I apologize that I am just now posting about days 5-7. They have been some very busy, tiring days and this is the first chance I've had to sit at the computer and write!

Some thoughts I've had over the past couple of days: this type of eating requires a lot of cooking (which means a lot of dishes too), the longer you go without meat and the more creative you are with your meals the easier this gets, and if you fall short for one meal or even one day don't give up!! It takes time to adjust, and even if we never go completely vegan we are eating SO much better because we are limiting meat and animal products and we are eating a LOT more fruits, veggies, and whole grains!

I'm going to change the format for our meals a little because to be honest, I don't remember every little detail of the last two days = )

Our meals consisted of:
*black bean soup (Thanks to Bridget Lane!! It was delicious!!!)
*Asian stir-fried vegetables over noodles
*Vegan waffles with scrambled eggs and turkey bacon (this was one of our 1-2 meals this week with meat/dairy)
*whole wheat blueberry muffins, whole grain cereals, fresh fruits, lots of avocados, leftovers from past meals, and black bean brownies

Yes, I ate a brownie! It wasn't completely vegan but you can make it that way by making the brownie mix from scratch. I simply bought a box mix for dark chocolate brownies and added pureed black beans with a little bit of water. I rinsed and drained the beans and then added enough water to make it a smooth, slightly "liquidy" consistency.
Here is the link for the vegan waffles recipe: http://www.grouprecipes.com/21727/easy-vegan-waffles.html

Here is Bridget's recipe for black bean soup too!
2tbsp. olive oil, small yellow onion chopped (i pulverize mine), two cloves of garlic, minced, 2 cans or 1 box of chicken stock (or veggie stock), 1 can rotel (mild for kiddos), cup and half of match stick carrots, cup frozen corn, 3 cans black beans, 2tbsp itallian seasoning, s&p to taste. Saute onion and garlic in oil over low heat until tender, add corn and carrots heat until tender, add stock, beans, rotel, and season. simmer for as long as you have.

As I mentioned before, the recipe for the muffins is in the Forks Over Knives book.

No comments:

Post a Comment