Saturday, January 7, 2012

Day 3 of New Eating Habits

Well, it's already 10 pm and I'm very tired so I'm going to make this short and sweet. David works a lot on Sat, Sun, and Mon so we ate some leftovers and a variety of different snacks between the three of us.
*Breakfast
-whole wheat blueberry muffins with almond milk to drink
(Micah ate carrots and humus = )
*Lunch
-lentil soup (http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2006issue2/vj2006issue2mealplans.htm#three) with whole wheat garlic toast (you can use olive oil or vegan "butter" spread for this)
*Dinner
-Kashi mushroom and spinach whole grain pizza and baked sweet potato fries
(I do two variations of the fries: one with olive oil, salt, and pepper and another with 100% pure maple syrup and cinnamon. One trick to make them crispier is to let the baking sheet sit in the heated oven for 10 minutes before you put the potatoes on them!)

For snacks today we ate granola, fruit, whole grain crackers, salsa, and the leftover muffins. Like I said, we all kind of did our own thing today when it came to snacks = )

A little word of encouragement for kids. We have been praising Micah with cheers and dances and whatever else it takes when he eats these newer, more healthy foods. You would have thought we had won a jackpot today when I was praising Micah for eating some lentil soup = ) It really makes a difference for him! We also bribe him with his favorite fruits and veggies, so either way he's eating healthy!

One last confession. David and I did eat a small amount of ice cream this afternoon. It's another one of those foods that David had just bought before we cracked down and we don't want it to go to waste = ) We've also decided to allow ourselves 1 or 2 meals a week with meat. However, we're still going to try to make that meat as lean as possible.

3 comments:

  1. I love sweet potato fries and am going to try that trick with the pan! Also, have you ever tried sprinkling them with cayenne? It's great if you like things with a spicy kick.

    Also, if you don't mind my asking, what prompted this drastic diet change?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind the last question, I just read the first blog =) Good luck! You guys are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try the cayenne Kristin! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete